PARENT TEACHER ORGANIZATION (PTO)
Please join the PTO! A membership is a minimum donation of $10 and the money is used to help fund the cost of appreciation events for our teachers and staff, as well as other FSSD employees. It’s our opportunity to thank EVERYONE who invests in our children…crossing guards, bus drivers, teachers, administrators, staff, etc.
Also, get engaged in your school’s PTO! There are many great opportunities to volunteer at your school. Volunteering is the best way to get to know your child’s school and get connected to other parents, teachers and administrators. You don’t have to join the PTO to volunteer, and you don’t have to volunteer if you join the PTO. But we certainly hope you will choose to do both in support of your child and the teachers and staff contributing to their education.
2016-2017 FSSD PTO Officers
|President – Jennifer Morrison|
|Vice-President – Brandi McCutchan|
|Secretary – Debra Myrick|
|Treasurer – Cindy Scearce|
|Community Relations – Ashley McCoy|
|Director of Schools – David Snowden, Ph.D.|
What is the FSSD PTO?
Per Article VI of the FSSD PTO Constitution and By-Laws, Section 1:
“The FSSD PTO leadership shall consist of the president, vice-president, secretary, treasurer, and community relations representative, a PTO Chair of each school, a principal of each school, a teacher representative of each school, and the FSSD director of schools (or representative). The members shall serve until the installation of their successors.”
What Does the PTO Do?
The PTO is specifically concerned with:
- Providing a forum whereby information concerning the educational interests of all students can be freely exchanged and programs can be coordinated among the schools;
- Addressing the public issues which affect children in and out of the classroom;
- Acting as an information source for parents as to school district actions and policies;
- Researching and analyzing educational policy and legislative issues that may impact the district.
What About the School-Based PTOs?
Each of the eight schools has its own Parent-Teacher Organization, which enables parents to become aware of and participate in the educational process. Principals and staff work closely with the PTOs in a supportive relationship to promote mutual understanding between home and school. Each parent is invited to join (family memberships are available for $10) and participate in the activities and meetings of the PTO. Principals and staff representatives attend regular meetings.
Does the PTO Raise Money?
Fundraising is a major goal of the PTOs. Money raised by each PTO is used to enrich the school in many ways. Schools indicate their priority issues before school begins so parents know exactly where their money will be used within the school.
What else do the PTOs Do?
In addition to fundraising, the school level PTOs lay the groundwork for positive open communication between home and school. The PTOs help organize and implement many student and family activities during the year.
Friends Learning In Pairs (FLIP)
Raise Your Hand Williamson
- Volunteer 1 to 4 days a week working with students and teachers for up to 10 weeks.
- Tutor students one-on-one or in small groups, reinforcing what is taught in the classroom so they can keep up with their peers.
- Mentor students providing advice, guidance and friendship.
- Sponser a school.
- Walk Across Williamson Challenge March 1-31
- Young Scholars Institute Registration Open
- Books from Heroes Program Begins with Emergency Responders
- 2nd Annual Race for the Stars 5K and Fun Run March 4
- FSSD announces Teachers of the Year
- FSSD Pre-Kindergarten Application Process Open for 2017-2018
- Special Ed Parent Support Group to Discuss ADHD and Related Issues