ANNUAL SCHOOL CALENDAR
The FSSD operates on a distinct calendar that maximizes student learning prior to the state’s required assessment period, as well as offers embedded professional learning time for educators and family friendly breaks that enable students and faculty members to return refreshed and ready to learn. The calendar is approved annually by the School Board.
2016-2017 School Calendar
The 2016-2017 school calendar is comprised of 87 instructional days in the first semester and 90 instructional days in the second semester. The first day of school in 2016-2017, is a half day on Friday, August 5. Students will be dismissed 3 hours early on this day.
This calendar again includes Early Dismissal Days, which amounts to five days during the year that students will be dismissed 3 hours early. This time is necessary for school principals and teachers to work on your child’s student data, determine progress, prepare for curriculum updates and plan for instruction with grade-level and subject area teams. As always, MAC will be available for after-school care on these days.
Guidelines for Developing the District Calendar
In developing the school calendar, the district takes the following into consideration:
- Correlation to the Williamson County calendar: Because we have many families with children in both the FSSD and Williamson County Schools, the district tries to correlate its calendar, as much as possible, to the Williamson County Schools calendar.
- Support from School Teams: School Teams provided input and feedback into the calendar design process, including teachers, principals and Central Office staff, who helped to guide discussion. The school teams gathered feedback from the faculties at their respective schools, which was used to make modifications on the final calendar approved by the School Board.
- Instructional Days Prior to Testing: One of the primary considerations in developing the calendar is to purposefully create uninterrupted instructional periods between major holidays. By law, school districts must take into account the number of student instructional days prior to State testing (TCA 49-6-6002).
- HSI Agents to Discuss Online Predators/ Cyber Safety on Jan. 17
- State Seeks Input on Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) Plan
- FSSD and MAC Winter Break Holiday Schedule
- Honors Program Info Meeting (Rising 6th-8th Graders) on Jan. 12
- Honors Program Info Meeting Set for Jan. 12 (Rising 5th Grade Families)
- FIS Requests Donations from Book Fair for New “Heroes” Program
- FSSD TCAP Testing Schedule 2016-17