ANNUAL SCHOOL CALENDAR
The FSSD operates on a distinct calendar that maximizes student learning prior to the state’s required assessment period, as well as offers embedded professional learning time for educators and family friendly breaks that enable students and faculty members to return refreshed and ready to learn. The calendar is approved annually by the School Board.
2017-2018 School Calendar
2016-2017 School Calendar
The 2016-2017 school calendar is comprised of 87 instructional days in the first semester and 90 instructional days in the second semester. The 2017-2018 calendar includes 85 instructional days in the first semester and 92 in the second.
The FSSD calendar includes five Early Dismissal Days during the year when students are dismissed 3 hours early. This time is necessary for school principals and teachers to work on your child’s student data, determine progress, prepare for curriculum updates and plan for instruction with grade-level and subject area teams. As always, MAC will be available for after-school care on these days.
Guidelines for Developing the District Calendar
In developing the school calendar, the district takes the following into consideration:
- Correlation to the Williamson County calendar: Because we have many families with children in both the FSSD and Williamson County Schools, the district tries to correlate its calendar, as much as possible, to the Williamson County Schools calendar.
- Support from School Teams: School Teams provided input and feedback into the calendar design process, including teachers, principals and Central Office staff, who helped to guide discussion. The school teams gathered feedback from the faculties at their respective schools, which was used to make modifications on the final calendar approved by the School Board.
- Instructional Days Prior to Testing: One of the primary considerations in developing the calendar is to purposefully create uninterrupted instructional periods between major holidays. By law, school districts must take into account the number of student instructional days prior to State testing (TCA 49-6-6002).
- Walk Across Williamson Challenge March 1-31
- Young Scholars Institute Registration Open
- Books from Heroes Program Begins with Emergency Responders
- 2nd Annual Race for the Stars 5K and Fun Run March 4
- FSSD announces Teachers of the Year
- FSSD Pre-Kindergarten Application Process Open for 2017-2018
- Special Ed Parent Support Group to Discuss ADHD and Related Issues