School Social Workers act as a link between schools, families and community resources. They provide comprehensive services to families and schools to prevent, intervene and help remove social, psychological and economic barriers that interfere with a child’s ability to learn and succeed.
Helping Schools

School Social Workers collaborate with principals, teachers, school counselors, school psychologists, and other staff to help students who are having difficulties at school and in the home. After in-school staff identify needs, the School Social Worker can serve as a consultant for the school or as a direct service provider for the family. Other services include consulting with the schools regarding Department of Children’s Services referrals, or participating as a member of the IEP or AST team, if requested.

Helping Families
School Social Workers can help families by:
  • locating and using community resources for needed services or financial assistance;
  • facilitating communication between families and school through phone calls, home visit, or attendance at IEP or AST meetings;
  • advocating for the best interest of the child by helping families address issues that interfere with school attendance or academic achievement;
  • finding resources for a variety of issues, including counseling, transportation, dental and vision exams, divorce, homelessness, domestic violence, or financial problems;
  • assisting with the Department of Humans Services’ applications for food stamps and insurance;
  • consulting with schools
Local Resources
Local Community Resources
  • Graceworks Ministries: Comprehensive services, including rent and food assistance, clothing, homelessness, etc. 615-794-9055
  • Mid- Cumberland Human Resource Agency: An independent, non-profit organization committed to helping individuals and communities become more self-sufficient, Mid-Cumberland provides services that work toward improving the health, well-being, and economic opportunities of people needing critical support or of those who may have an immediate need. Critical services include assistance with utilities and transportation. 615-790-5789
  • Franklin Transit Trolley Service:  Franklin Transit/TMA Group connects people in the Franklin and Cool Springs Area by providing public transportation services. 615-628-0260
  • TennCare Transportation: Assistance with transportation in getting to and from your health care appointments. United Healthcare 1-866-405-0238; AmeriGroup 1-866-680-0633; BlueCare 1-866-473-7563
  • Franklin Housing Authority:  The Franklin Housing Authority provides affordable housing to families and individuals with low to moderate income. FHA operates 288 public housing units throughout Franklin, serving nearly 600 residents. It is funded through rental income and subsidies from the Department of Housing & Urban Development. 615-794-1247
  • Community Housing Partnership of Williamson County:  Community Housing Partnership of Williamson County (CHP) is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization working to achieve quality affordable housing for elderly, low income, disabled and work force families of Williamson County. By using housing alternatives, CHP seeks to create, supply and maintain appropriate housing by rehabilitation, maintenance and restoration.
  • Department of Children’s Services (DCS): 1-877-237-0004 or 615-790-5965 (Williamson County Office)
  • Mid-Cumberland Head Start: The federal Head Start program provides low-income 3-and 4-year-old children and their families with comprehensive early education and support services.  615-794-0166
  • Community Childcare: The Community Childcare Center is a not for profit organization. Its sole purpose is to provide quality childcare to those in the community that can least afford it. 615-794-8986
  • The Refuge Center for Counseling: The Refuge Center, a non-profit organization, offers affordable, professional counseling services on a sliding scale in order to empower, educate and support individuals, couples and families in need. 615-591-5262
  • Mercy Community Healthcare:  Mercy Community Healthcare is a non-profit organization that offers pediatric and adult primary care as well as integrated mental and behavioral health care. Mercy uses a sliding scale as well as takes insurance. 615-790-0567
  • The Guidance Center: Behavioral health center that offers counseling and psychiatric services. Sliding scale fees available. 615-794-9973
  • Insight Counseling Center: In addition to counseling services, Insight provides professional training opportunities and mental health awareness education.  615-383-2115; 615-790-1539
  • In-home counseling:
    • Centerstone: 931-490-6510
    • Youth Villages:  In Middle Tennessee, Youth Villages offers a full continuum of programs serving emotionally and behaviorally troubled young people – Intensive In-Home Services, Residential Treatment, Foster Care and Adoption, Mentoring, YVLifeSet and Specialized Crisis Services. 615-250-7200
    • LifeCare Family Services: Comprehensive behavioral health services, including adult, child, and family counseling, and psychiatric and nursing services.  615-224-1590 
  •  a one-stop shop for Tennessee families to connect with important information and resources provided by state departments.  In addition to articles about valuable topics relating to health, education and development, features a comprehensive directory of state services for children and families.
  • Big Brother Big Sister of Middle Tennessee: The BB/BS program provides children facing adversity with strong and enduring, professionally supported one-to-one relationships that change their lives for the better, forever. 615-329-9191
  •  an organization that provides people a place to get information on assistance programs. This site provides phone numbers, addresses, and information on thousands of non-profit agencies, government and public assistance programs, and charity organizations.
  • City of Franklin:  Information and contact information for the City of Franklin.
  • Williamson County Library Resources:  A comprehensive listing of community resources.

By clicking the links above, you are leaving the Franklin Special School District website. The district is not responsible for the content. Further, the FSSD is not responsible for the links contained within the outside site, or any changes or updates to linked sites. The listed site and the links contained therein are offered to you only as a convenience and do not imply endorsement of the site by the FSSD.

If you have a concern or feel that a student or family could benefit from the services of the School Social Worker, please contact one of the FSSD School Social Workers.

School Social Worker
Amanda Fisher, MSSW
1406 Cannon St.

Franklin, TN  37064

615-472-3005 (work)
TBA (cell)
Pre-School Parent Liaison
Marlene Vergara

1406 Cannon St.

Franklin, TN  3706

615-472-3126 (work)


Student Support Services
Lee Kirkpatrick Ed.D.
, Supervisor
Deb Naber
, Secretary

FSSD Central Office Annex
1406 Cannon St.
Franklin, TN  37064

615-591-4327 (fax)